POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers : Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers
From: Peter Popov
Date: 3 Jun 1999 01:14:04
Message: <3755fdc2.38371480@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 02:34:30 +0300, "Margus Ramst" <mar### [at] peakeduee>
wrote:

>These seem like relatively simple and potentially useful features. One thing
>about the twirl warp, tho. You seem to imagine the effect as a cylindrical
>one, i.e. it extends infinitely in the direction perpendicular to the "twirl
>plane". This might have unwanted effects, like the warp appearing on the
>other side of the object.

You are right.

How about... if all falloff functions can have an optional axis
specified? The values will then fall off in one direction, i.e. the
equipotential surfaces will be planes as opposed to spheres. All we
need is take a projection of the vector from the center of the
"whatever we are modifying the falloff of" to the point in question
and project it onto the axis (do a dot product with the normalised
axis vector)?

>My head isn't working in 3D right now; couldn't this warp be spherical, like
>the black hole, with the twirl applied from all directions towards the
>center?

Maybe. If the plane of twirling is the plane through the center of the
twirl and perpendicular to the plane defined by the current camera ray
and twirl center.

>Ouch, I hurt my brain trying to imagine that...

I suppose it won't work in 3D as expected. I'll think some and if I
Can come up with anyting I'll render it into a df3

>Margus

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700